Your Responsibilities : Job Purpose :
Job Purpose :
The job exists to be the Electrical / Automation Lead by providing technical support, maintain, validate and calibrate current instruments in the Cape Town Factory.
And also to support all improvement activities in terms of instrumentation, which will result in efficient, reliable, safe and cost effective operation.
To identify and implement improvement activities by using appropriate instrumentation / automation. To take the lead in the automation capacity whilst providing guidance and coaching to internal staff.
Customers All Production, Quality Assurance and Engineering Departments
Essential Job Responsibilities :
1) The Electrical Engineer must have specific and thorough underpinning knowledge of
the electrical systems that constitute the complete electrical installation of the site, as will be under his authority.
2) The Electrical Engineer will be the designated Duty Holder who will be responsible for ensuring compliance with the requirements of all applicable Gsk Global Engineering Standards (GES).
3) The site Electrical Engineer must review all electrical related accidents and incidents and consider whether information needs to be communicated more widely within GSK using the Engineering & EHS Alerts process.
4)Ensure that all HV work is carried out by following the correct steps and precautions.
Esnure that all tests, inspections and installations are in accordance with :
5) Provide immediate maintenance support in case of any instrument / system breakdown
6) Develop and implement maintenance schedules for all instruments / control systems to minimize down time
7) Develop and maintain in-house validation / calibration set-up to complete all validations / calibrations in compliance with GQPs / GQMPs / GES on time and at optimum cost.
8) Responsible for all high level PLC / Automation support to site.
9) Develop back-up strategy for all instruments / systems, to reduce plant down time
10) Determine and develop local vendors for all instruments / systems supply & service
11) Develop key talent in the department to have at least one successor
12) Conduct regular trainings to other technicians / operators on instrumentation / automation to improve plant operation
13) Liaise with other departments e.g. Operations, QA and stores to implement all the unplanned and planned activities
14) Projects - Plan and implement improvement projects. Support in developing URS s for instrumentation / control systems, during installation and commissioning / validation.
1) Should be able to take decision in maintenance activities, operating budget and capital budget with in his area.
2) Should be able to develop and use appropriate tracking tool for the operating expenditure and PM Standard tool for capital expenditure, to control and report the spend status
3) Should recommend contractors, using site and company procedures for recommendation.
4) Should take such decisions as necessary for the day-to-day continuation of work on maintenance activities, to ensure the cost and timing targets are within budget
5) Exploration of local instrument / instrument components availability
6) Exploration of local supply / service support for the instruments / controls
7) Development of instrumentation / controls for the current manual systems
Independent Thinking :
1) Should be able to develop all drawings required to implement any new system / s
2) Should provide specification / drawings for sourcing any spare / instrument / controls
3) Should identify opportunities to convert current manual activities to mechanized / automated activities
4) Consistency on the quality of services rendered to operations
5) Modification of system operations to ensure achievement of desired result through available equipment.
1) Is responsible to maintain all the instruments, controls and automated systems at the Cape Town factory.
2) Responsible to support all project owners, by providing optimum instrumentation / automation solution
3) Responsible to support all operations, by providing simple instrumentation / automation systems, to minimize the manual interventions.
4) Responsible to management and co-ordination of instrumentation team
5) Responsible to develop at least one technician each in Instrumentation, automation and controls.
Annual Strategic Planning :
Provision of data to support all maintenance and calibration activities and study all the inventories at regular intervals, to prevent stock out of important spares.
Basic qualifications :
B.Sc. / B. Tech in Automation / Electrical / Electronics Engineering
3) Good analytical sills
4) Good interpersonal skills
Work Experience :
At least 5 years experience in maintenance instruments and controls
1) 2 - 5 years experience in maintenance of instruments & controls and production equipment maintenance in typical food / pharmaceutical industry
2) Good supervisory knowledge is essential
3) Must be versatile in maintenance of automated systems and controls.
4) Must be versatile in instrument maintenance, validation, calibration
5) Good knowledge in problem solving techniques (fault finding, analyzing and solving)
Training : In-house induction.
GSK related policy, procedure, systems and processes.
SOP : Person Specification :
Person Specification :
Ability to problem solve.
Keen attention to detail.
Ability to work under pressure to deadline.
Ability to work overtime and shift work when required.
Preferred qualifications :
Why GSK? :
At GSK, our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer. Our three world-
leading businesses research and deliver innovative medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products. We need a talented and motivated workforce to deliver against our strategy.
To achieve this, we strive to attract the best people and to create an environment that empowers and inspires